Tuesday 1 March 2016

Main character base mesh progression

Been Given the task of modeling the main character from our concept artists design, I preemptively decided that it would be a good idea to create a basic humanoid male model that I could work on when the final concept was given to me. 



By using a reference image for a basic male human model I was able to begin modeling the basic shapes of the body within Maya. Switching between viewports through this process was a key part of the work flow as it allowed me to ensure that all angles of the model where as precise as they could be, so that later on down the line I wouldn't run into any trouble.





With the Body Complete I began to model the face. As the face provided in the original concept I used wasn't very accurate I used a reference image provided to me from one of our classes. This reference image proved very useful as it mapped out the correct topology for the face, though very basic it meant that later on i could easily build on top of this model when given the final concept.





Due to the reference image not being in a T pose position, I decided that I needed to somehow get the model I created into this position so as to make it easier for our animator later on down the line when it comes to  rigging and animating the character. To do this I set up a quick rig using the HumanIK feature within maya. I was then able to move his arms up into the T pose position and then delete the HumanIK rig so that our animator could replace it with a far more accurate version.



Final base model for the main character. from this stage I am now able to take it over to Zbrush where I will begin sculpting it to make it look far more like our finalized character concept.


No comments:

Post a Comment