Monday 29 February 2016

Enemy Model Sheets - Matt Glen (Concept Art)

In order to take the initial concepts forward into actual 3D models for the game, model sheets are needed to provide a more detailed, multiple-viewpoint display of the characters for the modelers. I started with the main enemy unit, the Golem.

Golem




After creating a front back and side viewpoint for the character, I also added a small drawing of the grotesque faces that adorn the shoulders of these monsters to make that clearer. The main challenges here were trying to make the forms and parts of the concept as clear as possible, as well as ensuring that everything lined up and sat correctly from view to view. The more discrepancies between each image, the harder it would be to model from. I think I've managed to line things up fairly well, so hopefully this should translate well into 3D.


Enchanted Archer




With the Golem and Skulker, I already had one flat, perspective-free view completed before I began the model sheet, but unfortunately my original archer concept didn't work for that, and so I had to do a little bit more work for this one. Luckily the front and back views were so similar that it didn't take too long to complete. This sheet was a little easier to line up than the others, and so it should be a fairly decent guide when it comes to modelling.

Skulker




The final model sheet for the skulker was quite a challenge, essentially because of its compact shape. This meant that the front and back views had to accommodate a great deal of detail in a small area, making it look very bunched up and busy in only a small volume. There was no real getting around this, unfortunately, as the techniques I would normally employ to separate forms and create the illusion of depth would only make it more awkward to use as a modelling reference, which is its entire function. Instead I had to hope the colours and lighting I employed would break up the forms just enough that it was possible to understand what was happening in each viewpoint. I think I've mostly been successful with that, but it is undeniably messy in places and it certainly blends into one homogeneous form on some glances. Maybe one day I'll discover a good way to avoid these problems for a creature like this. The answer may be in a less detailed, simpler line variant of a model sheet that contains only the essential forms.

Hopefully all of these should be useful as references for creating the 3D enemies for our game, and it should be interesting to see how these concepts translate into models.

No comments:

Post a Comment